- 600ml Milk
- 50g of Butter
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 6 Cloves of Garlic (optional)
- 6 Peppercorns
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3 tyme sprigs
- 100g White Breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp Single Cream or Mascarpone
- A pinch of Nutmeg, freshly grated if possible
- Simmer the milk, butter, onion, cloves, peppercorns, garlic and herbs in a pan for around 20 mins.
- Strain and return the liquid to the pan. Add the breadcrumbs and simmer for 3-4 mins.
- Stir in the cream or mascarpone. Add nutmeg, season.
The Bread sauce can be made up to 3 days in advance.